SWIMMY is an instructional tool for teaching neurophysiology that requires only a computer. SWIMMY is a virtual fish that swims, moving its virtual tail by means of a virtual neural circuit. SWIMMY
offers students the opportunity to approach a conceptually challenging
task of scientific discovery and to get practical experience with the
basics of neurophysiology--without the impediments of in vivo or in
vitro neurophysiology experiments. SWIMMY is available for free, along with student and instructor tutorials.
Download SWIMMY Files
Students and Faculty can download the SWIMMY Program and SWIMMY Tutorials for free.
- Download the SWIMMY Program: In order to download the SWIMMY Program ("SwimmyGUI"), you must first fill out the User Consent/Download Questionnaire (after which you will be directed to the download button). Note that you will still be allowed to download SWIMMY even if you choose NOT to consent to anything.
- Take the Student Pre-Test: If you are a student and are about to begin the SWIMMY
module, please provide us with your level of scientific knowledge going
into the module by taking ONE of the following Pre-Tests. If
your first name begins with A-J take the standard test, if your first name begins with K-Z take the alternate test. First download the Questions (PDF) then input your answers into the Answer Form (electronic).
Download the SWIMMY Tutorials:
Take the Student Post-Test: If you are a student and have completed the SWIMMY
module, please provide us with your level of scientific knowledge
coming out of the module by taking the following
Post-Test (regardless of what Pre-Test you took, Option
A or Option B, you will take the same Post-Test as everyone else).
Fill out the Student Materials Evaluation: If you are a student and have completed the SWIMMY module, please provide us with basic feedback on the materials used in this module by filling out the multiple choice Student Materials Evaluation.
- Standard Student Pre-Test (FIRST Name A-J) - Questions (PDF)
- Standard Student Pre-Test (FIRST Name A-J) - Answer Form (electronic)
- Alternate Student Pre-Test (FIRST Name K-Z) - Questions (PDF)
- Alternate Student Pre-Test (FIRST Name K-Z) - Answer Form (electronic)
Faculty members interested in accessing faculty-related materials will need to obtain an account. Please see the Faculty Web Page for more information. Faculty members that already have an account may log in and go directly to the Faculty SWIMMY Web Page.
If you are a faculty member that has individually completed or taught the SWIMMY Module, please provide us with basic feedback on the materials used in this module by filling out the multiple choice Faculty Materials Evaluation.
Watch a video that provides an overview about the SWIMMY teaching tool.
- Read the published article (from the Journal of
Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, Fall 2008, 7(1):A1-A8)
about the SWIMMY teaching tool.
Modular Digital Course in Undergraduate Neuroscience Educationâ€”Revised: SWIMMY by Franklin B. Krasne is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.neuron.yale.edu.