This is the model for the paper:
Pashut T, Wolfus S, Friedman A, Lavidor M, Bar-Gad I, et al. (2011)
Mechanisms of Magnetic Stimulation of Central Nervous System
Neurons. PLoS Comput Biol 7(3):e1002022
This model was contributed by Alon Korngreen.
There are a one dimensional and a two dimensional model in directories
with those names. Here are the directions for each:
* Open the file "demo.hoc"
* Press "Init & Run" in the RunControl window.
* A movie presenting the membrane potential along the axon
* fiber will appear in the Graph window. Notice that the
* stimulation amplitude default is set to 30 volts agreeing
* with the subthreshold activity. You can control the
* electrical circuit and stimulation parameters in the
* Magnetic Coil Current window. Changing the stimulation
* amplitude to a value higher than 36 volt will present a
* superthreshold activity.
* In addition to the movie graph, the pulse shape is presented in
Graph window and the membrane potential in the soma as a
function of time is presented in Graph.
* Open the folder "fieldCalc".
* Open the file "fieldGUI.m" with MATLAB program.
* type "fieldGUI" in the commend window and press enter.
* A window named "fieldGUI" will appear. Enter the coil parameters
into the three text boxes:
o Coil radius in meters.
o Number of coiling (loops).
o Distance of the cell from the coil (Z) in meters.
* Press the "show graph" bottom and two graphs will appear below, the
induced electric field in x direction (E_x ) on the left and
the induced electric field in the y direction of the left
(E_y ). This will take 60-90 minutes. The matrixes of the
two graph will also be saved in the folder "fieldCalc" as
* Copy the text files (ex.txt and ey.txt) into the folder named
* Open the file "BACModel_mag.hoc" located in the "Neuron" folder.
* The first figure that opens shows the soma membrane potential as a
function of time. The second shows the pulse shape.
* To run the program press the "Init & Run" bottom in the "RunControl"
* You can control the electrical circuit and stimulation parameters in
the Magnetic Coil Current window. Changing the stimulation
amplitude to a value higher than 1900 volt will present a
* To manufacture a shape plot:
o go to NEURON main menu
o click on graph - shape plot. A window showing the cell morphology
will appear. o Right click in the window and chose the option shape
* The cell in the window will be colored according to the membrane
potential in every location. A scale bar will also appear
next to it, presenting the voltage matching the different
colors. To start the movie press the "Init & Run" bottom in
the "RunControl" panel.
ModelDB Home SenseLab Home Help Questions, comments, problems? Email the ModelDB AdministratorHow to cite ModelDB This site is Copyright 2012 Shepherd Lab, Yale University