This simulation builds a fully passive ball-and-stick neuron with a 1,000-µm dendrite with dendritic spines placed every 1 µm.
1. Compile mod files for synaptic conductances.
2. Open the "Full_Passive_Single_EPSPs.hoc" file in a text editor.
3. Modify the opening lines of "Full_Passive_Single_EPSPs.hoc" to adjust to the desired RMP (-55 to -85), conductance type (AMPA, NMDA, or Both), and the base name for output files (e.g., "BOTH_85" for runs at an RMP of -85 mV and with both AMPA and NMDA conductances).
4. Run "Full_Passive_Single_EPSPs.hoc"
5. Four Output files will be generated, each with 101 traces (for inputs every 10 µm along the dendrite, from 0 to 1000 um from the soma) sampled at 10 kHz. One file will have the somatic EPSPs ("Soma_..."), one will have the dendritic EPSPs ("Dend_..."), and two will have the AMPA or NMDA conductances ("AMPAcond_..." and "NMDAcond_..."). For AMPA+NMDA inputs, traces for total synaptic conductance can be generated by adding the two conductance traces.