• Open the folder "fieldCalc".
• Open the file "fieldGUI.m" with MATLAB program.
• type "fieldGUI" in the commend window and press enter.
• A window named "fieldGUI" will appear. Enter the coil parameters into the three text boxes:
o Coil radius in meters.
o Number of coiling (loops).
o Distance of the cell from the coil (Z) in meters.
• Press the "show graph" bottom and two graphs will appear below, the induced electric field in x direction (Ex) on the left and the induced electric field in the y direction of the left (Ey). This will take 60-90 minutes. The matrixes of the two graph will also be saved in the folder "fieldCalc" as text files.
• Copy the text files (ex.txt and ey.txt) into the folder named "Neuron".
• Open the file " BACModel_mag.hoc" located in the "Neuron" folder.
• The first figure that opens shows the soma membrane potential as a function of time. The second shows the pulse shape.
• To run the program press the "Init & Run" bottom in the "RunControl" panel.
• You can control the electrical circuit and stimulation parameters in the Magnetic Coil Current window. Changing the stimulation amplitude to a value higher than 1900 volt will present a superthreshold activity.
• To manufacture a shape plot:
o go to NEURON main menu
o click on graph - shape plot. A window showing the cell morphology will appear.
o Right click in the window and chose the option shape plot.
• The cell in the window will be colored according to the membrane potential in every location. A scale bar will also appear next to it, presenting the voltage matching the different colors. To start the movie press the "Init & Run" bottom in the "RunControl" panel.