# NetPyNE implementation of the somatosensory thalamocortical circuits model
This code reproduces the simulations in the following paper:
Fernando da Silva Borges, Joao V.S. Moreira, Lavinia M. Takarabe, William W. Lytton, Salvador Dura-Bernal. **Large-scale biophysically detailed model of somatosensory thalamocortical circuits in NetPyNE**. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics. https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.02.03.479029
We implemented a NetPyNE version of a highly detailed and complex model somatosensory cortex (S1) originally developed by Markram et al 2015. We implemented the model using the data available in the Neocortical Microcircuit Collaboration Portal. We also extended the model by adding thalamic circuits, including 6 distinct thalamic populations with intrathalamic, thalamocortical and corticothalamic connectivity derived from experimental data. Our work provides a widely accessible, data-driven and biophysically-detailed model of the somatosensory thalamocortical circuits that can be utilized as a community tool for researchers to study neural dynamics, function and disease.
1. `main`: files needed to run the code (564,7 MB)
## Setup and execution
Requires NEURON with Python and MPI support.
### NEURON libraries
1. From /sim run `nrnivmodl mod`. This should create a directory called x86_64.
2. In cfg.py make sure cfg.coreneuron = False
3. To run type: `python batch.py` or `mpiexec -n [num_proc] nrniv -python -mpi init.py`
### CoreNEURON libraries
1. From /sim run `nrnivmodl -coreneuron mod`. This should create a directory called x86_64.
2. In cfg.py make sure cfg.coreneuron = True
3. To run type: `python batch.py` or `mpirun -n [num_proc] ./x86_64/special -mpi -python init.py`
The code reproduce the Fig. 7.
## Overview of file structure:
* `/sim/init.py`: Main executable; calls functions from other modules. Sets what parameter file to use.
* `/sim/netParams.py`: Network parameters
* `/sim/cfg.py`: Simulation configuration
* `/sim/batch.py`: Run multiple simulations
* `/sim/cells`: source files for the different cell types used in the model; these will be imported into netpyne
* `/sim/mod`: NMODL files containing the ionic channel and synaptic mechanisms used in the model
* `/data`: where the model and simulation data is stored
* `/runSubNets`: ipython notebook to run the model with some populations
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org